West Contra Costa residents can drop-off unwanted or old medicine and pharmaceuticals for free at the locations listed below.
Due to COVID-19, it is recommended that you call ahead to ensure the location is open during the listed times and is still accepting drop-offs.
- Keep medicine/pharmaceuticals in original container
- Leave the drug name intact. Black out personal information, including names, prescription numbers and doctor’s name
- Drop-off unwanted medicine/pharmaceuticals at one of the locations listed below. (Recommended to call ahead.)
Pharmaceuticals Now Present in the Environment
Pharmaceuticals are now being detected in water and soil by scientists worldwide. A 2002 U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) study found pharmaceutical and personal care product contaminants in 80 percent of 139 streams sampled in 30 states.
Pharmaceuticals enter wastewater treatment plants through either excretion or flushing of unused medications. These pharmaceuticals may not be completely degraded or removed at the wastewater treatment plant. Regardless of the level of treatment, most conventional wastewater treatment cannot effectively eliminate pharmaceutical compounds.
Concern about Pharmaceuticals in the Environment
Researchers suspect that hormones and pharmaceutical compounds in the water may be responsible for effects on wildlife including feminization of male fish, sluggish activity or reduced appetite. Short and long term human health effects are currently unknown.
In addition, pharmaceutical use in the general population is growing, so more unwanted drugs are generated and being improperly disposed and thus creating increased environmental concerns.
For more information: www.recyclemore.com.
- Hercules City Hall, 111 Civic Drive, Hercules; 24-hour drop-off bins are located outside of main entrance; (510) 799-8200
- Pinole Police Station: 880 Tennent Avenue, Pinole; Lobby hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Mon-Fri; (510) 724-8950
- El Cerrito Recycling + Environmental Resource Center: 7501 Schmidt Lane, El Cerrito; 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Mon-Fri, 9 a.m.-4:45 p.m., Sat–Sun; 510-215-4350
- Richmond Fire Department Station #63: 5201 Valley View Rd, El Sobrante; 24-hour drop-off bin is located outside of main entrance; (510) 307-8031
- Richmond Police Station: 1701 Regatta Blvd., Richmond; 7 a.m.-8 p.m., Mon-Sun; (415) 666-8000
- West County HHW Collection Facility: 101 Pittsburg Avenue, Richmond; Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., closed 12-12:30 p.m.; 510-262-7100
- CVS/Pharmacy: 1401 Tara Hill Dr., Pinole; (510) 724-8880
- KAISER Pharmacy: 1301 Pinole Valley Road, Pinole; 1st floor; (510) 243-4311
- KAISER Richmond Hospital Main Pharmacy: 901 Nevin Avenue, Richmond; (510) 307-3160
- CVS/Pharmacy 2151 Meeker Ave., Richmond; (510) 231-5922
- CVS/Pharmacy 10650 San Pablo Ave., El Cerrito; (510) 527-3210
- CVS/Pharmacy 670 El Cerrito Plaza, El Cerrito; (510) 524-5895